Girl talk… :)
I have the same philosophy for makeup as I do for my clothes: I love makeup but I hate owning anything that I don’t use. I really try to edit my collection as much as possible and I think twice about every single thing I buy. I’ve tried lots of different systems for storing my makeup, and right now I am storing everything in an acrylic office organiser from MUJI. I love it because it is so compact, it takes up the least possible amount of space and I can see all the products at once. MUJI has lots of different versions of organisers, but I chose this one because I mainly have tall pencil-shaped items. Of course I use some of the products more than others, the key items are those that I need for everyday (see below). For special occasions or just when I want to mix things up I have a range of lip colours and three coloured mascaras. I also have a set of ten mini Urban Decay 24/7 liners, which can be applied as eyeshadows as well.
Splurge or Save
People have commented before on my nail polish posts asking me if I think it is worth it to buy expensive products rather than cheaper ones. I think it mainly depends on the type of product and whether you are willing to pay more for such things as longevity and pigmentation. My foundations/tinted moisturiser are higher-end, because I think for face products it usually pays to spend a bit more for a better formula and a broader colour range. My favourite mascara is from Clinique,because I couldn’t find a drugstore one that is as long-wearing. The rest of my make up is from are the drugstore.
Everyday Make up Routine
I don’t have one set routine for everyday, but I have something like a hierarchy of three steps. Depending on my plans for the day I do the whole thing or just one or two.
Step 1: Absolute Basics. Staying at home, going to class, lazy weekends
- Tinted Moisturizer: I use Benefit’s YouRebel in Lite as my moisturiser every morning. It’s super rich and I would only recommend it for normal/dry or dry skin types.
- Blush: Benefit Sugarbomb. It’s a really nice peachy pink with a little bit of shimmer.
- Any lip product: I always apply either lip balm, gloss or a sheer lipstick, anything that is quick and easy to apply. At the moment this Model’s Own one is my favourite. It looks nothing like the colour in the tube, it’s a super sheer glossy berry.
Step 2: Polish. This step doesn’t really make me look any more made-up than the first step alone, but slightly more polished, and it adds some definition to my eyes.
- Concealer: I use Bobbi Brown Foundation stick in warm ivory as a concealer, wherever I need it, which is usually under my eyes and on my cheeks to cover redness)
- Mascara: My favourite mascara is the long-wearing one from Clinique. I hate it when mascara smudges, and this one is one of very few I found that stays put and holds a curl until you remove it (Tarte’s 4 day mascara is another, but much harder to find). I like it because I don’t need to use an extra eye makeup remover at night, as it dissolves with warm water.
- Eyebrows: I never used to do anything with my eyebrows, but recently I discovered how much of a difference some eyebrow gel makes. I also use an eyebrow pencil sometimes, usually when I know there will be pictures taken. For everyday I put on some clear Barry M mascara.
Step 3: Colour. This step finally adds some colour and I think of it as the “real” makeup part, as opposed to the no- makeup makeup look that it’s been so far. I do all three steps whenever I’m doing something fun but day-timey, like going somewhere with my boyfriend or meeting friends.
- Lip stain: Maybelline in blush is a berry shade, and I wear it underneath the gloss or balm from step one.
- Eyeliner: I apply Barry M’s black marker on the upper waterline and sometimes also a tiny bit on the lower lash line.
- Eye shadow: I use Barry M’s Shimmering Eye and Lip Crayon in a light sand shade. I apply it in the inner and outer corners of my eye.
This is my make up after step 2:
I use all the other products in my collection for a nighttime looks but also sometimes I feel like doing something fun during the day too. My favourite way to do this at the moment is applying a sheer, bright lip colour. I love these Nivea Beaute lipsticks for that. I’ve had them all for ages, they are nearly used up which is sad because I haven’t found a good alternative yet.